Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remembrance Day

I had the privilege of attending three Remembrance Day services. I went to the Pass, Norma is a member of the Legion and was asked to Drive the Veterans the the various services throughout the Pass. So we attended the first one at the High School, then went to Bellevue for the Honor Guard and presentation of the Colors and 21 gun salute, then off to their home Legion for the Cenotaph Service. It brought home to me how REAL the wars were. I talked to some of these Veterans. The cold and the mud and bad food or no food. Seeing their friends blown to bits, that's not a movie, that's their memories. We're blessed with a free land because of these people. I know its very far removed from us now and further from your kids, but I think its important that they have some idea, I know here and in the Pass they had services at the schools where Veterans went in and gave presentations. I spoke with one very nice man, he's 85 and he said that they showed a video at the school but he had such a hard time watching it because he said it just hit too close to home. I'm so glad that I had this opportunity and am so thankful for these brave people and the sacrfices they made.

No comments: